Friday, June 14, 2013

Staying on track when on the run

One of the biggest challenges I found when starting this journey was staying on track when I was on the run - which is most of the time.  It never failed I was running late, it was time for my snack, I was starving, and I had nothing, so would have to grab something, anything, to get my blood sugar back up.  

Unfortunately, whatever was handy was usually NOT what was healthy! Have you ever run into a convenience store and really looked at what your options are?  Not usually healthy. You may get lucky and find a piece of fruit or a cheese stick for $1, it'll probably cost more than that.

Now I make sure I prepare all my snacks for the day before I leave the house for the day.  Even if I think I'll be home for all of my snacks, I make sure there is something in my purse for just in case. My favorite go to snack for emergencies is a "trail mix" I make up.  I look for a base to start with and beef it up.  Ultimately I like to have seeds, nuts, and a little dried fruit for carbs.  A common mix is Dried Edemame, almonds, Pepita's, cranberries / raisins.  Sometimes there are sunflower kernels mixed in too.  Since there is no sugar laden chocolate or yogurt covering this keeps well even if left in a hot car all day.  Starkist seasoned tuna packets can be another great protein snack, my friend Mary will core an apple and fill the apple with the sweet and spicy tuna for a snack. Herbalife Soynuts and a piece of fruit are also good for keeping around.

The biggest tip is to be prepared.  Have options you can carry around all the time, as well as snack stuff at home (cottage cheese with fresh or frozen fruit, plain Greek yogurt w/ fresh or frozen fruit - no added sugar, An Herbalife Shake can be a snack as well as a meal....)  I know some people carry a small cooler with an ice pack during the hotter months and load it with snacks - fruit, cheese sticks, veggies, etc. That is a little too much work for me lol, but if it fits for you then do it!  It really is about making good nutrition fit your lifestyle. Do you have access to a fridge at work? Keep some snacks there. Don't have access to a fridge, keep snacks that don't have to be kept cool in your desk or locker (or a mini cooler there).  The possibilities are endless if you just think about it and plan.

I know there are several of you out there who may have other ideas as well, please share them in the comments section so we can all support each other.

Until next time.......

No comments:

Post a Comment